Caregiving can be rewarding, but it can also take its toll. The Aging and Disability Resource Center in your county offers free and easily accessible information, assistance, and referrals to community resources. The ADRC assists family caregivers with:
- Information and assistance
- Accessing local resources and services
- Education and training to increase caregiving skills
- Exploring your options
- Obtaining durable medical equipment
- Free comprehensive assessment of caregiver stresses and burdens
- Caregiver specialists who work with you to develop a plan of care to help you thrive while caregiving
- In-home help
- Minor home modifications
- In-home dementia coaching
- Caregiver counseling
The initial process of determining caregiver needs and eligibility requirements if any, is the Tailored Caregiver Assessment and Referral(TCARE) tool. TCARE is the assessment tool used throughout Washington State to support family caregivers providing care to adults with chronic or acute health conditions.
Using scores from the Personal Caregiver Survey, ADRC staff identify intervention goals, strategies, and an initial list of recommended services and resources. These recommendations, including the type of services and the amount of services, are tailored to the caregiver’s needs, preferences, and availability.